Friday, December 19, 2008

Caribbean Chicken




I was going through my Foodbuzz mini-feed the other day and I came across The Hungry Mouse's recipe and technique for Rosemary Scented Roast Broiler Chicken. I tried it and it was very good. For the basic technique I don't have anything to add but she suggested several variations for the flavor of the bird. I'd like to add one more.

One of the reasons I add this is that I have seen quite a few jerk rubs but none of them add soy sauce as an ingredient. In my time in South Florida I encountered a lot of Jamaican and Caribbean jerks and most did include soy sauce. There was an influx of Chinese in the late 1800's to the Caribbean and although they are a small minority they have made their influence felt in the preparation of Caribbean foods. There is actually a Jamaican soy sauce that can be bought in stores that specialize in Jamaican foods. Once you know the soy sauce is there, you can taste it in Caribbean fish and poultry dishes.

This is for rubbing one 4 lb chicken

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoon of minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon of grated ginger root
  • zest of 1 1/2 limes
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1 teaspoon of onion powder
  • 1 or 2 dashes of red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you want your bird)
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Prepare the chicken per The Hungry Mouses instructions.

Stuff the chicken with crushed garlic and the limes that you have zested and juiced. Combine all the ingredients above and coat the chicken.

Cook at 450 degrees for 45 min.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online