Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Very American Walnut Whole Wheat French Bread

I was spelunking around on The Fresh Loaf the other day and found a picture of Dan Lepard's Walnut Bread I looked around for the recipe but couldn't find it. He probably wants you to buy his cookbook to get the recipe. Silly man, trying to make a living, the very idea. Since I couldn't find the recipe I fell back to my old friend "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook" by Beth Hensperger where I found a recipe for French Whole Wheat Bread. From that and the information I read about Dan's recipe I used my imagination to come up with this.

There are a couple of important things to note in this recipe:

The first is that I use a mixture of grape juice, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar. I do this because I live in a "dry" county, for those of you who don't know what that means, you can't buy alcohol here. If you live some place where you can get wine use a sweet red instead. I could drive the hour necessary to buy wine myself, but I'm having fun with the vinegar and grape juice.

The second is that I call this a French bread because I use French bread making methods. Most of those I will outline here, but if you want a good explanation of the differences in French verses American bread techniques you should buy "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook" (TBLBMCB) I have learned a lot from Beth Hensperger and I won't pretend that I can teach you as well as she can in her book.

  • 1/2 cup grape juice
  • 1/8 cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar
  • 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar

Mix these ingredients in a resealable container and allow to set covered for two to three days. If the liquid sits for longer than that and starts to grow mold discard and start again.

This makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf of bread.

  • 3/4 cup of sweet red wine or above mixture
  • 1 cup of buttermilk
  • 3 cups of whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 tablespoon gluten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Put the ingredients into the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacture. Set the machine to dough cycle. A note here most bread machine recipes call to add the nuts in after the dough has gone through the dough cycle. I ignore this, can you put too many ingredients into your bread machine? If you know that your bread machine isn't high power or if it starts walking off the counter, the next time you make this you probably want to add the nuts after the dough cycle.

Once the machine beeps, unplug it and knock down the dough. You will want to use a greased spatial for this as the dough will be very sticky. Allow the dough to rise another 30 minutes.

Pour the dough onto a floured surface and knead once or twice and form the dough into a flattened football. This will be tricky because the dough is so wet. There are techniques to do this the proper French way, you can read them in TBLBMCB, but I haven't mastered them yet so I stick with the standard kneading method and bread forming methods my Mom taught me.

Allow the bread to rise another hour.

Put baking rack on lowest rung and pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. snip 4 diagonal cuts into the top of the dough. Cook the bread about half an hour.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online