Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Poppy Seed Lemon Egg Bread

This is both a bread recipe and a book plug. This recipe is modified from The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook" by Beth Hensperger the link on the title will lead you to a well written review, to which I will add an Amen. You can buy it from Amazon if you don't already have it. One of the things I do that allows me to make as much bread as I want without having bread flow out my ears is I make rolls instead and freeze them. If you would like a whole loaf simply select the right bread type on your bread machine and let it go through to the finished product.

This makes about a dozen rolls.

  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon gluten
  • 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
  • zest of one lemon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Put the ingredients into the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacture. Set the machine to dough cycle.

Once the machine beeps, put the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead once or twice to insure that it is knocked down. Pinch off 1/4 cup pieces of the dough, roll them smooth and put them on a pan lined with parchment paper. You must do this quickly because the egg in this recipe will make the dough rise quickly and if you don't hurry the dough will be double in size again. Once you have all your rolls put the pan in the freezer for two hours. After that you can transfer your rolls to a ziplock bag and store in the freezer.

When you're ready to cook them take the rolls out of the freezer and allow them to defrost and rise a second time. I often take my rolls out before I leave the house in the morning and they are ready to go when I get home.

Cook them for 15 min. at 400 degrees.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online